Here are just a few scary facts:
- Each year, close to 500,000 die of cancer in India. This number is slated to escalate to 700,000 by 2015 and by 2025, five times that number.
- Worldwide, Cervical cancer is the second most common in women and can strike as early as when she is 32-35 years of age.
- According to the WHO, lung, oral, lip, throat and neck cancers are the most common among men while women suffer more from cervix, breast and ovarian cancers. Prostrate cancer is on the increase in elderly men, along with kidney, penis and intestine cancer.
- Tobacco use is the most important risk factor for cancer causing 22 percent of global cancer deaths and 71 percent of global lung cancer deaths.
- There are more than 100 types of cancers; any part of the body can be affected.
Fortunately, cancer can be prevented.
What can we do to support World Cancer Day?
One of the main reasons why cancer is fatal is ignorance about the disease. This leads to delayed diagnosis and lack of medical facilities, nicknaming cancer as the killer disease. The good news is, early detection can mean timely treatment, enabling the individual lead a healthy life.
Let’s band together to raise awareness about this disease. How can we do this? By posting on our blogs and linking up here.
What can you post about?
- Write about cancer – although we know the word, the details are still a mystery for most.
- Symptoms of cancer
- Prevention of cancer
- An experience
- Instances of overcoming the disease
- How we can fight cancer
- Myths about the disease
…You get the idea
So, write. If you have an existing post, that’s fine too.Use the badge in your post.
Then, add your link to the linky below. Congratulate yourself on a good deed done!
The link will be open until 2000 hours IST on Friday, February 7, 2014.
Thank you for your support.