- Clear And Simple Writing : Short Sentences
- Clear And Simple Writing: The Power of One Idea
- Clear And Simple Writing: Use Fewer Words
- Clear And Simple Writing: Get Active
- 10 Killer Filler Words To Avoid
- Don’t Dangle Your Participle
- In On At (Prepositions of Place)
- 48 Commonly Misspelled Words (UBC Linky)
- Avoid An Apostrophe Catastrophe 1
- 12 Most Misunderstood Words In English | Wednesday Prompt
- I Me And Myself | Wednesday Prompt
- Beside The Point
- See Look And Watch #MondayMusings
- Special Or Especial #WYHO
- 12 Simple Ways To Make Your Words Count #FridayReflections
We use prepositions to show where something is located either in space or in time. In, on, at are all prepositions of place. Simple words, so why have a post on this? I find that a few of us get a little confused from time to time and could do with a reminder.
in – we talk of something that is in an enclosed area
For example: I study in my room/ I live in India/ I left my phone in the car.
on – we talk about something being either on a horizontal or vertical surface
For example: My favourite show is on TV (the television is a flat surface)/ The books are on the bed/ The cat is sitting on the floor/ I live on Hill Road
at – we talk about something being at specific location, a specific point in place, space
For example: I live at 138 Hill Road / I am at the movie theatre/ I am at the hotel.
Note: I live in Mumbai, on Hill Road, at 123 Blue Moon
Want to take a shot? Fill in the blanks with one of these three prepositions of place – ‘in’ ‘on’ or ‘at’. Use the comment for to respond.
1. I like salt ______ my soup, but not too much.
2. John is ______ the hospital.
3. I’m going to my cousin’s house ______ Saturday.
4. How much sugar do you put ______ your coffee?
5. We get ______ the bus every morning ______ seven and go to work.
6. The meeting is ______ Tuesday ______ nine ______ the morning.
7. We live ______ a small city ______ the northeastern part of the country.
8. They went fishing ______ the lake. 9. There’s a lot of life ______ the bottom of the sea.
10. Where’s Joe? Joe’s ______ the post office.
11. We are sitting ______ a table ______ some comfortable chairs.
12. We were ______ a boat when we saw some whales.
13. The whales stayed ______ the surface for a while.
14. I heard a song I like ______ the radio.
15. We thought we were going to be late, but we got there just ______ time.
16. We thought we were going to be late, but we got there ______ time.
17. We went for a walk ______ the beach. We decided to go ______ the water.
18. I bought a couple of really good shirts. They were ______ sale at a good price.
19. Do you like whipped cream ______ your coffee?
20. We were sitting ______ the bed talking for a little while.
We missed our Wednesday prompt this week. So I’ve come up with a solution!