Every year, March 1, is celebrated as World Compliment Day. I think it is a wonderful way to dedicate a day to appreciating all the people we interact with – and perhaps make it a habit – because we ought not to need a specific day to do this.
Truth is, we all enjoy compliments no matter who is the giver. I know that if I were wearing a new outfit, I’d hope people would notice. If I wrote a particularly good post, I’d wish more people would read it and compliment me.
You? Yes? Ah yes, I thought so.
A compliment is an expression of praise or admiration for someone – anyone!
Examples are –
- That dress looks good on you!
- I’ve always admired your handwriting!
- You say the nicest things!
Such feel-good words!
Compliments are wonderful because they…
- Are feel-good
- Lift our spirits
- Motivate us
- Help us connect with others positively
- Strengthens relationships
- Make you feel less lonely
Everyone has something praise-worthy worth noticing – do you agree? You only have to look! And like everything else in life, there are complimenting dos and don’ts . Here are some pointers:
- Make it a point to be generous and sincere.
- Never say something you don’t mean – that’s meaner than not saying anything at al
- No faking it!
- No overdoing it – comes across as false
- Don’t compliment when your mind actually wants to criticize
- Accept compliments with a smile and appreciate the giver. Say thanks.
- Give one when you get one – whenever appropriate. Not mandatory.
Now, take action!
Celebrate World Compliment Day
Appreciate your family, your friends, your colleagues at work
Your neighborhood people.
Compliment everyone you come in contact with by saying something you know will make them smile and feel good.
Is it their smile, their clothes, their hair, their voice, something they did… You get the idea! Go ahead and make their day!
And? If you want to make your life better, just make this a habit!
Better still, write a post. What is the best compliment you’ve received so far?
And let the world know by linking up here.
Then, compliment at least five people today!
I think you are awesome!
Happy World Compliment Day!