Do you enjoy compliments?
Of course you do.
It is January 24 and this is what we asked you to guess.
National Compliment Day.
We read somewhere that Jan 24 is being celebrated as National Compliment Day – although, if you ask me, why do you need a special day to make someone feel good?
Let’s face it, humans crave to be appreciated. Be honest, if you took special care to dress today, wouldn’t you feel happy if people noticed and told you how great you look?
A compliment is an expression of praise (That style looks great on you! Your writing is beautiful!). It could also be words that encourage (Wow, I love how you handled that!) or congratulate (Congratulations on your achievement!)
“A compliment is verbal sunshine” – Robert Orben
But why should you compliment?
If that’s even a question, the answers would be:
- Makes you feel good, lifts our spirits, motivates
- Makes the receiver feel good
- Helps you connect with others in a positive way
- Strengthens relationships (yes, I have a friend who calls me when she feels low just to feel pepped up – she knows I’ll praise her for something)
- Makes you feel less lonely
- You’ll agree that everyone has something praise-worthy – you only have to look.
Like all other things in life, there’s etiquette for complimenting, too:
- Be generous and most important, be sincere. There’s nothing worse than saying something you don’t mean. If there is something you clearly don’t like, don’t fake the compliment.
- Don’t go overboard with it – you come across as false.
- Don’t compliment when you’d rather criticize!
- When you receive a compliment, accept graciously. I used to have the lousy habit of looking very disbelieving when someone told me I was beautiful. Learning to accept a compliment with a smile and a “thank you” can be hard for some. But that’s the right thing to do And don’t disagree when you are offered a compliment!
- Don’t feel obliged to reciprocate with a compliment when you receive one – unless appropriate!
Celebrate National Compliment Day – Go compliment your family, your friends, your coworkers.
Say something to them that you know will make them smile and feel good. Could be their smile, their clothes, their hair, their chai … You get the idea! Make their day!
And? Continue the practice on a daily basis and watch your life become better.
So here is what I want you to do today.
Write a post about the best compliment(s) you’ve received till date.
And link up here.
Then, go visit at least five blogs today and compliment them about something!
If you make five people smile today, that’s five good deeds. The more the merrier!
I think you are awesome!